High School 1A ("9th/10th Grade") Class
Monday Spots Left: 17
Wednesday Spots Left: 19
The Short Version:
Math Tips, Tricks, and Mental Calculations
CLEP for College Credit:
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
Principles of Marketing
- multiplying and dividing numbers with decimals
- calculating percents
- multiplying and dividing numbers with zeroes
- manipulating fractions
- multiplying and dividing numbers by 4 or by 5
Goal 2 is to sharpen students' speed and proficiency in these essential skills:
- converting decimals/fractions/percents
- solving ratios
- speeding up "long division"
- solving fraction word problems
- working out real-world math problems (unit pricing,
interest rates, tipping, and so on).
Goal 3: Increasing Success with Higher Math Classes
The bottom line: The techniques and practice problems in "Math Tips &
Tricks," if applied by students, will...
- make arithmetic faster,
- increase accuracy in problem solving,
- speed up math lessons with whatever program they use, and
- enable them to focus on concepts, not arithmetic, in higher math!
Students who join the Math Tips & Tricks class should already have their four operation tables (+, ‒, ×, ÷) thoroughly and quickly mastered. This is a great class for brushing up on mastering arithmetic skills like fractions, decimals, and percents, or improving performance in higher math classes by speeding up and honing skills in arithmetic!
We'll have lots of in-class practice problems, worksheets to complete at home (they shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes per day), and fun activities like "Jeopardy!" games in class.
- determining good and bad reasoning
- logical fallacies (ad hominem attacks, circular reasoning, straw man
arguments, red herrings, and so on)
- assignment sheets to help students memorize logical
fallacy types through review and repetition
- take-home worksheets to help students determine
types of logical fallacies