High School 1B ("9th/10th Grade") Class
Spots Left: 26
Christian Civics (1st Semester):
Math Tips, Tricks, and Mental Calculations
Logic (1st Semester):
More Info on Electives:
Each elective is FREE to English/History students, and each elective meets on the same day as English/History.
Math Tips & Tricks (8:15-9:15 AM): There are three main goals of this class:
Goal 1: to teach students how to do these in their heads:
- multiply/divide numbers with decimals
- calculate percents
- multiply/divide numbers with zeroes
- work faster and better with fractions
Goal 2: to sharpen students' speed and proficiency with these:
- converting decimals/fractions/percents
- solving ratios
- "long division"
- solving fraction word problems
- working out real-world math problems (unit pricing, interest, tipping)
Goal 3: to increase Success with higher math classes
The bottom line: The techniques and practice problems in "Math Tips &
Tricks," if applied by students, will...
- make arithmetic faster,
- increase accuracy in problem solving,
- speed up math lessons with whatever program they use, and
- enable them to focus on concepts, not arithmetic, in higher math!
Students who join the Math Tips & Tricks class should already have their four operation tables (+, ‒, ×, ÷) thoroughly and quickly mastered. This is a great class for brushing up on mastering arithmetic skills like fractions, decimals, and percents, or improving performance in higher math classes by speeding up and honing skills in arithmetic!
We'll have lots of in-class practice problems, worksheets to complete at home (they shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes per day), and fun activities like "Jeopardy!" games in class.
Logic (2:00-2:50 PM): This is a fun class! Here's what's included:
- a Christian view of logic
- lots of interesting/funny audio-visuals showing logical fallacies
- determining good and bad reasoning
- logical fallacies (ad hominem attacks, circular reasoning, straw man
arguments, red herrings, and so on)